We are excited that you have decided to study at Shafston. We understand that traveling to a new country can be a challenging experience, so we have put together some information that will help you to plan for your time studying at Shafston.


All students planning to study at Shafston International College will require an appropriate visa. Please refer to the following website to determine what type of visa you will need to study Visa Options. The below information should be used only as general information.

Students applying for a student visa must be enrolled for full-time study and submit an electronic confirmation of enrolment (COE) from Shafston, along with the appropriate visa paperwork. On approval from Australian immigration, a student visa will be issued for the duration of your studies, and allows students to get permission to work 40 hours a fortnight.

Students who apply for and receive a Working Holiday Visa can study for 17 weeks and work full-time for a maximum of 6 months for one employer. Students on this visa are responsible for arranging their own health and travel insurance.

There are other visas that may allow study options as part of their conditions. Please check with immigration. However, students with focused long term study needs should travel on a Student Visa.


  • Students on a student visa must arrange Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) in order to come to study to Australia.
  • Shafston can arrange the OSHC for you Overseas Student Health Cover – Bupa or you can arrange it directly with one of the approved OSHC providers in Australia.
  • If you are coming to Australia under another type of visa we strongly recommend that you arrange travel insurance.


International students are required to demonstrate and/or declare that they have genuine access to sufficient funds to be granted a student visa. Applicants may have to demonstrate sufficient funds to cover these expenses for the first one or two years in Australia, depending on their assessment level.

Visit for more information about the cost of living while staying in Australia.


If you are coming to study in Australia with children, please note that it is compulsory for them to attend school.

Schooling in Australia typically starts with a preparatory year followed by 12 years of primary and secondary school, and is mandatory until age 15 or 16, depending on the state or territory. Australia offers government and non government schools. Some schools are co-educational, teaching boys and girls; others teach girls only or boys only. Most have uniforms.

If you bring your family with you on your student visa, you will be required to enrol any school aged children into a school, and you will likely be charged full fees. The amount will vary depending on the age and school. Private schools are generally more expensive. Most schools accept students who live nearby, so research schools and housing at the same time.

Visit for more information on schooling in Australia.


The Australian Government is committed to ensuring you have a great education experience in Australia. The ESOS Act and related laws protect international students through:

  • The ESOS legislation and recent reforms
  • The National Code
  • The Overseas Students Ombudsman
  • The Tuition Protection Service

Further information about students’ rights and obligations under the ESOS Framework can be found in ESOS Framework website.